Tuesday 6 October 2015

Cuddly Bear

Hello

Here's another Whoopsiedaisy Design that the talented Sharon Gammon has designed.  

My younger son and his wife were expecting their first baby last November and I wanted to make something to welcome my seventh grandchild (!) into the world.



Sharon designed this lovely bear with his snuggle blanket as well.  As we didn't know the sex of the baby I had to go for neutral colours and I was struggling to find neutral fabric that co-ordinated in the local fabric shops when lo and behold, Debbie Shore came on Create & Craft and had this matching fat quarters set,  There are six different fat quarters all in neutral colours.  Perfect!  I decided to do teddy in patchwork too but I could have done it all in one piece of fabric. He is stuffed with toy stuffing and is lovely and squidgy!

I also used Minkie fabric for the front of the ears, his little nose which is heart shaped and the bottoms of his feet.


The blanket is quite straight forward although it took a while to work out where to put the squares!  The picture makes the blanket look a bit creased, but I promise it wasn't.  It was lovely and smooth!  I sewed the blocks together and then put a border around it. I backed the quilt in the lovely 'bobbly' Minkie, which I got from the wonderful Pumpkin Patch in Hailsham, East Sussex and also brought it round to do the edges too.  I then quilted along the seams of each square, sewing right through to the backing.  Sharon is a expert at putting quilts together and she helped enormously, showing us every step of the way, with the binding and quilting which is not as easy as it looks!!


Here are the two together.  Don't they look smart?  My son and daughter-in-law were very pleased and I don't think they were being polite!  They had a little boy called Rory and the quilt and teddy sit proudly on his little crib!  Brilliant.  Thank you Sharon.


Thank you for looking.

Liz x

No comments: